"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron
My first blog was Mice and Moonbeams in 2006 and oh how I loved that blog! I lost it after a few years of having it when I tried to back it up...and lost every single post. It devastated me and it was really hard to even begin blogging again after that. So, I no longer have any of the posts, but I DO have the photographs from that blog.
I remember my first post was about my dad. It was a part of Project 365 (which is what got me blogging in the first place). I took a picture of my dad's lab coat which was given to me after he passed away in 1995:
He was a pediatrician. I also have his stethoscope and the little pink elephant he always wore on his lapel to make the kids smile. I think my brother got his doctor's bag - and yes, it was one of those old-fashioned doctor's bags that held all his gear. I think my brother got the ear-checker-thingy, too.
He was also a folk singer.
My brother has Daddy's first Yamaha guitar and I got the 12 string and the Oscar Schmidt. They are cherished. My dad's hands held them.
And he was a sailor.
And because of that, I am a mermaid. =)
This was the poem read by his best friend at the funeral.
(I cry every time I read it)
"I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sales to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky mingle with each other.
Then someone at my side says "There, she is gone."
"Gone from my sight, that is all."
She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as when she left my side and she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.
Her diminished size is in me, not in her. Just at the moment that someone says, "There, she is gone" there are other eyes watching her coming and other voices ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"
By Henry Van Dyke
I am jealous of the ones who took up the glad shout "Here she comes!" Still.
He was all of these, but mostly he was my Daddy. I used to love the Pippi Longstocking books and I imagined I was her and he was Pippi's captain daddy.
My favorite photo of him:
The pictures are blurry, but I love them.
I wish I still had the post, but at least I have the photos!
I totally missed day 3 and 4. I have been so busy with other things outside of the cyber world, but I still plan to play along as much as I am able. Today I intend to try to get around to everyone's blogs and read up on what I've missed. I will try very hard to visit everyone!
Today we are asked to share 10 things about ourselves - this is SO "old skool"! Ok, here goes:
1. I am a hard core, unapologetic introvert who used to try very hard to be an extrovert. Didn't work. I'm much happier being my introverted self. This doesn't mean I don't like to be around people - I DO. I LOVE people. I just need long periods of quiet and alone time to recharge after I have been with people. That just means I need to pace myself - if I have a day out with friends, I need 2-3 days of quiet and solitude to recharge.
2. My favorite food of all time (at this time) is buffalo chicken. I ADORE buffalo chicken - mainly the sauce. And Pete's Buffalo Sauce is my favorite. I could drink the sauce. Seriously.
3. I have a Nintendo 2DS and I play Animal Crossing on it. My son got it for me as birthday gift. I am an amazing mayor (according to my people).
4. I love spooky stuff - I have my entire life! When I was a very small child we lived in a haunted house in Denver, CO. I have always been fascinated by the paranormal and have a healthy respect for it. I don't mess around with Ouija or spirit boards. I DO watch spooky stuff all the time - even around the holidays. I love me a really GOOD ghost story!
5. I am a coffee addict. Chock Full'O Nuts if my favorite coffee.
6. I once believed I could turn myself into a cat - like, when I was 7 or 8. I really, really believed this and spent several days trying to use my mind to transform me and my cousins and brother into Kimba the White Lion and his love, Kitty, and their friends Uncle Specklerex and I can't remember the name of the other one. For a while we were CERTAIN that it was working. We even pinned my uncle's beautiful silk ties to our pants, knowing that they would turn into tails. He was not happy about that and took away our tails. I am pretty sure that is why we never became Kimba and his friends. So much for the law of attraction.
7. My feet are shy.
8. I adore tiny, miniature things. And mice. I adore mice. I had my first mouse when I was about 9 or 10 and I have had several mice since then. Mice are my favorite. And cats.
9. I love to cook and bake and I show my love to others through food.
10. When I was a teenager, I lived in Italy. Some dear friends of mine and I planned to sail to the Bahamas someday. We even charted our course on maps. I love the ocean but I'm deathly afraid of sailing - but I was SO going to do this. We never did it, but it was so much fun planning it. One of those friends sent me a coin from the Bahamas a million years ago. On it is a sailing ship. I still have that coin.
So there are 10 things about me. There are a million or a billion more, but I didn't want to overwhelm you.
Stay, stay at home, my heart, and rest; Home-keeping hearts are happiest, For those that wander they know not where Are full of trouble and full of care; To stay at home is best. ~~ Longfellow ~~
"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrariwise, what it is, it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?"~ Alice in Wonderland